Terron Oates was convicted of voluntary manslaughter in the killing of Alexis King. His story is that he was looking to pick up a sex worker, discovered the woman he picked up had a penis, and shot her in the heat of that reaction. In fact, he claimed that Alexis became sexually aggressive and put his hand on her penis, prompting him to shoot her twice. The defense tried to claim that Terron’s youth and naiveté contributed to him picking up Alexis instead of a cis woman.
But, from the article:
- He was out at 5 am on a school night
- He went to a strip club
- He had an illegal gun in his car
- He had the presence of mind to dispose of the firearm
- When he called 911, he told a story about a robbery and an unknown gunman
- Paramedics say that Alexis’ penis was tucked firmly away
- Sgt Daniel Dutch, an undercover john, says he’s never heard of or experienced such behavior from a trans woman sex worker – trans women tend to not draw attention to their genitalia
- Alexis was shot from the side and from behind, not from the front as you’d expect from Oates’ story.
This wasn’t manslaughter. This was a man trolling for trans women sex workers to murder. He was prepared to kill, his story doesn’t match the facts. Why did the jury let him off with a mild sentence for his crime? Because they sympathized with the trans panic defense.
And what’s the risk when you give murderers a slap on the wrist? They get out of prison and kill again. Remember that trans anger post from the other day? We have many things to be angry about, and this decision is one of them.
Fuck you Philadelphia. Do you have a single judge who respects the humanity of trans women, women of color, or sex workers?